Social media has become an integral part of our lives. From Facebook to Instagram, Twitter to Snapchat, TikTok to Pinterest – everyone uses social media platforms to connect with friends, share their thoughts, find inspiration, and stay updated with current events. It wasn’t too long ago that social media was a small slice of the marketing pie, but now it’s impossible to ignore. You can now find social media content in just about any marketing campaign.
And it’s no wonder marketers are using these sites to reach potential customers and increase sales.
By the time you’re reading this, more than 3.2 billion images will be shared by social media users, 8 billion videos viewed on Facebook, and 65% of those views will come from mobile users – all in one day.
People are in love with social media platforms. Not a crush or infatuation, but the type of love that keeps them up at night and interferes when they’re trying to concentrate – literally.
If you’re a business owner or marketer looking for ways to boost your company’s visibility online, here are some facts about social media marketing that might change how you think about these platforms and their potential to reach your consumer.
30 Insane Social Media Facts
There are plenty of statistics out there to fill you in on all the details of social media, but many of them are – frankly – boring.
So, why not lighten things up a bit?
You need to optimize your social media strategy, and you need a few numbers to make it happen.
We want to make it easy for you to enjoy, remember, and apply what you learn, so here are 30 insane social media facts to light your marketing fire.
Social Media Usage Stats
1. We like to share the love. The average internet user has 8.6 social media accounts.
2. The number of social media users skyrocketed with 72% of adults using at least one social network.
3. Young adults were early adopters of social media platforms. However, older adult usage continues to increase in recent years with more 50-64-year-olds using Facebook than those 18-29.
4. Need evidence that we’re a visual species? Today in excess of 3.2 billion photos and 720,000 hours of video are shared per day across social media.
5. 59% of WhatsApp users and 53% of Facebook users in the United States post content to their accounts.
6. We spend an average of 145 minutes per day on social media worldwide.
Social Media Marketing Stats
7. As of the third quarter of 2020, 10 million brands are advertising on Facebook. This is a significant increase from 7 million advertisers in the first quarter of the previous year.
8. And it makes sense considering 73% of marketers believe their social media marketing efforts have been “somewhat effective” or “very effective” for their business.
9. This includes B2B marketers who ranked social media advertising second in success (29%) behind paid search (33%) for producing content marketing results.
10. Social media’s ad spend in the United States was $40.3 billion in 2020.
11. According to a report from Dentsu, spurred by an 18% growth in social media, global digital ad spending is projected to grow 10.1% YoY.